Instruction is offered on critical litigation skills needed for legal support staff. Webinars are offered on the following topics:
Civil Litigation Basics: This course is presented as a weekly 2 hour webinar over a five week period each Wednesday. Topics include:
- Federal and California State court structure
- Key references and resources
- Starting the Action: Summons, Complaints, Answers
- Service of Process, Proofs of Service
- Case Management and Status Conferences
- Written discovery, depositions, document production
- Motion practice: Hearing dates, required documents, briefing schedules, tentative rulings, summary judgment motions, ex parte motions
- Calendaring resources, tips and tricks in state and federal court (separate registration and MCLE credit available for those only interested in the Complexities of Calendaring class)
The topics covered provide a solid introduction to the fundamentals of civil litigation and key steps in the litigation process.
Please click HERE for details on the next series of classes, or HERE to register.
CIVIL LITIGATION BASICS: TRAINING TOPICS/SCHEDULE:
WEEK 1: Introduction and overview of civil litigation, summons, complaints and answers
WEEK 2: Service of process, proofs of service, case management and status conferences
WEEK 3: Discovery - overview, depositions, written discovery
WEEK 4: Motion practice - briefing schedules, required documents, ex parte motions and summary judgment
WEEK 5: Complexities of Calendaring: structure and details of the litigation calendar, including case management, discovery, motions and trial dates. Topics include CCP and FRCP references, calculating service dates and proper service methods. (Individual registration and one hour of MCLE credit available.)
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR MORE TRAINING OPPORTUNITIES?
Check out Afinety's webinars on MS Word Tips and Tricks, using Adobe Acrobat Professional and other classes aimed at building your software and word processing skills! Click HERE for more information and schedule of upcoming classes.